Hiroshima Mon Amour (work in progress #2)

Stephane emailed me a second report with his meditations and feelings about the new perfume "Hiroshima Mon Amour" he's working on. And soon I'll also post the visual of the whole project: very minimal, but vivid at the same time and high-impact. But now, let's hear what Stephane has to tell us about his creative process. Below, you will find also the French original text (thanks Nyneve/Anna Maria for the French vs. Italian translation!).

"I find myself in an impasse, I created more than 40 accords that don’t go together, they erase each other in combination. Others get too medicinal. Selective perfumery is tricky because it often fluctuates between the wealth of raw materials and a certain minimalism between food and drugs. I have to revise all my formulas and reconsider my vision of artistic perfumery. I say “vision” because in fact my work rests on my ambivalence as a painter and perfumer, my synesthesia.

I sink into the colors of a picture portraying a pretty Japanese girl in her bath, entrusted to me by a friend photographer who lives in Japan, to truly enter into the whole thing and "paint" my scent with the right colours, at least those which I imagine. I should stick to my "palette" as if it were a musical stave, since when I'm looking at a picture, I feel it. The scent must surely be blooming, but with woody, organic, earthy sides, and impressions of wet stone and billows of smoke.

I still have a good feeling regarding the spectrum of my bouquet: a cloud of green flowers, fresh and dense at the same time, the impression you get inside a huge florist’s shop, a cloud of assorted teas, flowers with a fragile delicate perfume. Lotus, lilac and roses blooming in the water. Sakura (or cherry blossoms), lily, the peach flower, the pink kiku and plum blossoms, variety of white water lilies, beautiful aquatic flowers that bring me back Monet's famous painting (Water Lilies, ndr). To fit all those flowers into an accord consistent with my idea of Japan I had to discard many heavy materials. Finesse and subtlety, a short story, and dreamy. But I worked too much on my own so my "journey" is still naive. I must come into contact with Japan and its customs, smell the hair of Japanese girls living in Paris, speak to them on the street. The contact is lively and cheeky, the adventure is enjoyable every time, subjects of my studies are easily approachable and allow me to.
Working on a sake accord, and modelling a tangerine the way a confectioner would ... I wish to incorporate a tangerine into heart notes, but I need to make it not too sugary. I have a weakness for slightly gourmand fragrances, it’s difficult for me to work a watermelon for instance, I’d really need Olivia Giacobetti here. Olivia may have been inspired by her father’s pictures to realize her Eau de Iunx? In any case her works inspire me a lot. The interesting thing is working on a difficult territory, finding another "hand", blooming open to new essays, "periods" and new styles. I listen to the sound of the harp, of the koto and the shaminzen. I confess that working on this creation in spring would have helped me a lot.

I erased my tuberose and enriched bit the floral wave only a tiny bit. I find myself in front of a watercolor loaded with green, quite sharp, and I’m puzzled by the real effect because there’s a contradiction between a feeling of softness and one of resentment, a watercolor shouldn’t have this power. It would be some kind of "Eau d'Issey": striking, different, but still a cousin. I must therefore keep on working on this "eau" according the newer, deeper and most tender notes without covering those added at an earlier stage. It’s an impossible quest, I’m looking for an elusive scent.
In any case I tried to create an interesting bridge, an accord between birch, ambroxan and oil of Cade, which I’ll try to incorporate into my "flowerpot".
I’m excited with an aspect of dark woods with flashes of white and beige, I’d like to enrich it with a hint of Chinese cherry to round it and convey the idea of "joie de vivre".
The aim is to find accords that don’t adversely affect each other, and which may offer a wide palette in which notes don’t need modifiers. A realistic picture with a natural feeling; I don’t want an acrylic painting but the impression of an oil pastel contrasted with watercolor brushstrokes, a sort of mixed technique. Perfumery which I move in, displays a new path: to sing a duet, a trio or a quartet.

Perfumery art is about "donating" not about confusing and deceiving the nose. My perfume should be simple and moving, a perfume you can easily enter in: I want to leave all doors open. But in the meantime it shouldn’t be full of holes, or open to the four winds. The canvas should be slightly creamy, smooth and generous, brown, vegetable, animal and sensual. It 'so complicated doing something simple, sobriety is a risky exercise, just like Japanese poetry, and the silences in music.
"Making sketches is like planting seeds to sprout beautiful paintings" (Vincent Van Gogh).
Smelling, to me, is a Freudian exercise: everything is sexual, everything is dream... emotions, dreams, myself…
Click here  to read the first part of this adventure in perfumery!
FRENCH TEXT
Je me retrouve dans une impasse. J'ai réalisé plus de 40 accords qui ne s'entendent pas. Certains s'annulent en étant combinés, d'autres mélanges deviennent "pharmaceutiques".
C'est le risque encouru dans la parfumerie sélective, cette parfumerie oscille souvent, de par sa richesse des matières et son minimalisme, entre "l'alimentaire" et le "médicament".
Je dois revoir toutes mes formules et reconsidérer ma vision de la parfumerie artistique. Je parle de vision car en effet mon travail repose sur mon ambivalence de peintre et de
parfumeur, ma "synesthésie".
J'ai fait glisser les couleurs de la photographie représentant une jolie japonaise dans son bain de source chaude confiée par une amie photographe installée au Japon,
"pour être pleinement dans le jus" et "peindre" mon parfum avec les bonnes couleurs, du moins celles que je me représente. Je dois rester fidèle à ma palette comme si elle devait représenter une portée musicale.
Je sens en regardant une image.

Le parfum doit être floral, certes, mais avec des terminaisons boisées, organiques, terreuses et des impressions de pierres moisies et de fumées.
J'ai cependant une belle impression en ce qui concerne le spectre de mon parfum, une nuée verte de fleurs, fraîche et dense à la fois, comme une impression de parfums s'échappant
d'une grande boutique de compositions florales, un nuage de thés et de fleurs fragiles aux parfums délicats. Lotus, lilas, roses qui éclosent dans l'eau.
Il y a les sakuras ou fleurs de cerisier, le lys, fleur de pêche, l'oeillet Kiku et la fleur de prunier, nymphéacées blancs : Mes belles fleurs aquatiques qui me renvoient au célèbre tableau de Monet.

J'ai évincé beaucoup de matières trop lourdes pour réaliser avec toutes ces fleurs une nappe de tête conforme à mon idée du Japon et de certaines de ses régions. Finesse et subtilité, récit bref et songeur.
Mais, j'ai travaillé trop seul, mon "voyage" reste naïf, je dois d'avantage entrer en contact avec le Japon et ses coutumes, renifler le cuir chevelu des filles japonaises vivant à Paris que j'interpelle dans la rue.
Le contact est vif et impertinent, pourtant l'aventure est à chaque fois agréable, mes "objets" se laissent faire facilement, travailler un accord saké et modeler une mandarine
à la manière d'un confiseur, je veux incorporer une mandarine dans le coeur, je dois l'alourdir sans trop la sucrer, j'ai un faible pour les parfums légèrement gourmands, difficile pour moi de travailler un melon d'eau par exemple.
J'aurais bien besoin d'Olivia Giacobetti. Est-ce que Olivia a été inspirée par les photographies de son père pour réaliser ses eaux de Iunx ? En tout cas, ses travaux m'inspirent beaucoup.
Ce qui est intéressant, c'est de travailler sur un territoire difficile, de trouver une autre "main", de s'épanouir dans des essais, des "périodes" et des styles nouveaux.
J'écoute de la harpe, les sons du koto et du shamisen. J'avoue que travailler cette création pendant la saison du printemps m'aurait bien aidé.

J'ai écarté ma tubéreuse, j'ai très peu enrichi mon onde florale pour le moment. Je me retrouve face à une aquarelle soutenue, forte en vert, assez aigüe, mais je suis tracassé par le rendu olfactif car il y a comme
une contradiction de souplesse et de hargne, une aquarelle ne peut avoir cette puissance. Ce serait une "eau d'Issey" stridente pour le moment, différente mais cousine.
Je dois donc continuer à agrémenter cette "eau" pour lui confier des matières plus tendres et profondes sans que ces matières ajoutées "passent devant". C'est comme une quête impossible, je suis à la recherche
d'un parfum fantomatique.

Toutefois, j'ai tenté une passerelle intéressante : Un accord "bouleau", "ambroxan" et "cade" que je vais incorporer dans mon "vase aux fleurs". Je suis enthousiaste, un côté bois sombre avec des éclats de blanc et de beige, avec cette envie de lui attribuer une note cerise de chine pour la rondeur et l'envie de vivre.
Le but est de trouver des accords qui ne se blessent pas entre eux et qui proposent une large palette dans laquelle les notes n'ont pas besoin de nombreux modificateurs. Un tableau réaliste et une impression de naturel, je ne veux pas une "peinture acrylique" mais plutôt une impression "pastels à l'huile" contrastés avec des touches aquarelles, une technique mixte en somme.

La parfumerie dans laquelle j'évolue s'inscrit dans une nouvelle donne : Faire chanter un duo, un trio ou un quatuor. La parfumerie artistique c'est "donner", ce n'est pas "confondre" ou tromper le nez. Je veux proposer un parfum touchant et simple, un parfum dans lequel on peut entrer, c'est en cela qu'il est difficile à construire, je veux laisser des portes ouvertes mais la création ne doit pas être une chambre aux quatre vents, il ne doit pas y avoir de "trous". La toile doit être légèrement crémeuse, fluide et généreuse, brune, végétale, animale et sensuelle. C'est compliqué de faire simple, la sobriété est un exercice périlleux, comme la poèsie japonaise, comme les silences dans la musique.

Réaliser des esquisses revient à planter des graines pour faire pousser des tableaux. Vincent Van Gogh.

Le parfum est pour moi un exercice freudien, tout est sexuel et rêve. "Emoi émois et moi..."

Commenti

M ha detto…
You've always got wonderful posts!
Mille grazie,
Michael
Marika Vecchiattini ha detto…
Hi Michael, thanks for your compliments and a warm welcome to you!:-)

Post popolari in questo blog

Zara White, Green, Fruity, Oriental, Black Amber

Arancia La Spugnatura (Francois Demachy per Acqua di Parma, 2023)

Perris Montecarlo new release: Vetiver Java by Gian Luca Perris (2021)