HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR (work in progress)

During Pitti Fragrances 2009 Stephan Humbert Lucas, creator -with his wife- of the artistic brand Nez à Nez (website)asked if we could collaborate on a project. "There are things I have inside right now, and that relate to the concept of death, and I feel that I want to express them somehow. I'm thinking of a perfume named Hiroshima Mon Amour. The perfume of Death, a sort of Life chant. There is so much misinformation around the figure of the perfume composer, and instead I want to share my work with others, I want people to come into my creative process, to read it and follow it step by step. Attempts, mistakes, everything. But I paint, I create scents... I don't use words to tell things; Instead you don't compose, but I follow your blog, I saw that you tell things simply, as they are, I like that. I'll send you texts and drafts vials to sniff, you do whatever you want... ".
Well, I am excited, grateful and happy because the journey to Hiroshima Mon Amour begins today.
Thanks to Nynive/AnnaMaria for translating the text from French into Italian.

Logbook. Friday, September 18, 2009
HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR (PROCESS)

I started collecting the first elements.
Vintage Japanese poems translated into French, raw materials, images I created and which I need as mooring buoy and encouragement, experimental music not at all Japanese named Aya Waska; titles of their albums are close to what inspires me in Hiroshima Mon Amour (Breath-Garden-Suspended roof-Dance in the morning-Languages of stones - Here, a strange dream-Ayawaska-Forgotten Track -Back home- The crazy bird-Stones-Awakening stones- The eyes of a valley- White sky). Ayahuasca (in the dictionary is written like this) is a shamanic potion.
In front of me there are several black materials, mate and Fir Balsan. A Burmese friend is going to give me an oud oil with a smell of sticky soil, not oil, but deep, muddy and as black as ink in a sticky molasses, mineral /organic; it won't like be rubber, but drier and less opaque than the Vietnamese, much less *oily*. I may need oud to bind and create a base, I'd like to express its attractive dark amber, nearly round, more intellectual; but in the same time I don't want to stick to the trend of the moment.
Parallel, I keep on working on my Tuberose to give her youth; it should be light green, very light. The tuberose may represent virginity, Hamilton's pictures, but it's also the flower of adultery, Poison. I'll see.
The carnation is on the table, it smells of dirty water and skin of a wet girl, I'll work it with luserna, white musk, heliotrope, maybe lilac. I'm waiting for a little bit of luserna from Japan, it smells of hay, very rich and moist, a porte-bonheur in that country.
I made some accords, which speak of jasmine and rose tea infusion.
Puffed rice, aromatic, an approach to the lotus flower and a tangerine that I'll get from a fellow Italian perfumer.
I also think about stone, with a little saltpetre, some iris, I would need something dusty.
I'm also working on the "mushroom" side and bran, too for its young, fresh odor. T
he scent will be pale yellow, hues mixed with light brown; subtle, invigorating, interesting. I worked several accords on my palette, it's like directing a chorus with low and acute voices, you must perceive them all chanting. I have to lighten my picture up, then add a little fog, and then light it up.
This perfume has to be an ode to life, fiery bright green with floral delicacy, I need to find low, round resonances but not overwhelming, a sort of alcove in which to hide substances with harsher and dense aspects, dark and sticky.
I envision a gorgeous green plant: I'm holding it for the thin stem, the structure waves as I walk, but the roots are well firmed in the earth.
I look at the photo of that beautiful Japanese whom I left only the essential, even the two forms which I left on Hiroshima Mon Amour ...
I love the Japanese flag, it's pure and represents a Nation experienced and involved, it's intimate, restrained, traditional, proud and humble at the same time, fierce and quiet.
I love Japanese poetry, pure, timeless, with a biorhythm in the syntax, a kind of evidence. Evidence that flows from short words that might seem scattered, nothing is weak, everything is just intense.
I love Regain by Jean Giono, I love the Phoenix rising from its ashes, I am interested in the drama because it contains hope.
Herbe de bison, badian, yes, it's cool and sounds fresh, without being minty nor citrusy, I want to fill it with blueberries, with broom,but its smell of blond tobacco could make my game muddy.
In a few days I will eliminate elements which don't work, I'm waiting to smell the four I will soon receive; I shall try them on paper and then I'll program my scales.
I should meet Emmanuelle Riva, my cousin, the heroine of the film by Resnais, 1959.
I'll wait to present her my olfactory story when it's finished, I think. But since it'll never be truly finished, I will have to force myself a bit.

Click here to read the following steps.
----------------------
Journal de bord. Vendredi 18 septembre 2009
HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR (process).

J'ai commencé à rassembler les premiers éléments. Des poèmes japonais d'époque traduits en français, des matières premières, les supports images que j'ai créé et qui me servent de balise et d'encouragement, de la musique expérimentale pas japonaise du tout, cela s'appelle Aya Waska et les titres de "l'album" sont étonnamment proches de ce que m'inspire Hiroshima mon amour (Souffles - Jardin suspendu - Danse du matin - Langues de pierres - Que voilà un rêve étrange - Ayawaska - La piste oubliée - Le retour - L'oiseau fou - Eveil de Pierre - Valée blanche et Les yeux du ciel). Le "Ayahuasca" (écrit comme ceci dans le dictionnaire) est un breuvage chamanique.
J'ai devant moi des matières noires, du Mate et du Fir Balsan.
Un ami birman doit me rapporter un oud aux odeurs de sol englué, pas pétrole mais plutôt vase profonde comme de l'encre noire dans une mélasse visqueuse, minérale-organique, il ne sera pas caoutchouc mais plutôt sec et moins opaque que le vietnamien, beaucoup moins gazoil.
J'aurai peut être besoin du oud pour lier et donner du fond tout en exprimant cette noirceur attractive moins ronde que l'ambre, plus intellectuelle, mais je ne veux pas faire de copier-coller avec la tendance du moment. A suivre.
Je continue en parallèle à traiter ma tubéreuse de manière à lui donner une jeunesse, elle doit être légère et verte, très légère.
La tubéreuse peut représenter la virginité, les photos d'Hamilton, mais c'est aussi la fleur de l'adultère, Poison, je verrai bien. L'oeillet est sur la table, il sent l'eau souillée et la peau d'une fille mouillée. A travailler avec la luzerne et du musc blanc, héliotrope, peut être lilas. J'attend une luzerne du japon justement, odeur de foin très riche et humide, porte-bonheur au pays.
J'ai fais des assemblages, des accords qui parlent d'infusions de thé à la rose, de jasmin.
Du riz soufflé, aromatique, une approche de la fleur de Lotus et une mandarine qui me vient d'un confrère italien. Je pense aussi à la pierre, au salpêtre et un peu d'iris, il me faut de la poussière. Je travaille aussi le côté champignon puis le son pour son odeur légère, jeune et sérieuse. Une odeur jaune pâle mêlée de nuances marron clair, subtile et intéressante, vivifiant, sage. Je travaille ma palette en faisant plusieurs tas, c'est un peu comme faire chanter une chorale, des graves, des aigus, il faudra entendre tout le monde.
Je dois éclaircir au maximum, poser un glacis pour ensuite éclaircir mon tableau.
Ce parfum doit être une ode à la vie, vert fougueux, délicatement fleuri.
Je dois lui trouver des résonances sourdes plus troublantes mais pas effrayantes, des alcôves dans lesquelles seront embusquées certaines matières sévères et épaisses, obscures et collantes.
J'ai dans la tête une magnifique plante verte que je tiens par la tige fine, je la porte et son pot de terre se balance, les racines tiennent bien.
Je regarde la photo de cette jeune japonaise à laquelle je n'ai laissé que l'essentiel.
Je regarde aussi les deux formes que je viens de poser sur l'image du parfum Hiroshima mon amour...
J'aime le drapeau japonais, il est pur et représentatif d'une nation éprouvée et investie, rassemblée, intime, traditionnelle, orgueilleuse et humble à la fois, sanguine, tranquille.
J'aime la poésie japonaise, le dépouillement, le temps est éternel, il y a comme un bio-rythme dans la syntaxe, une sorte d'évidence. Une évidence tirée par des mots courts et qui pourraient sembler éparses pourtant rien n'est faible, tout n'est qu'intensité.
J'aime Regain de Jean Giono, j'aime le Phoenix qui renaît de ses cendres, le drame m'intéresse car il contient de l'espoir.
Herbe de bison, badiane, oui, c'est frais avec le son, c'est frais sans être mentholé ni agrume, j'ai envie de compléter avec une myrtille, le genêt pour son odeur de tabac blond et de miel troublerait le jeu.
Je verrai.
D'ici quelques jours, je commencerai le travail d'évincement des matières qui font flop.
J'attend de sentir 4 matières que je dois recevoir, je formulerai sur le papier et je commencerai à programmer la balance.
Je devrais rencontrer Emmanuelle Riva, ma cousine, l'héroïne du film Hiroshima mon Amour de A. Resnais, 1959.
Je vais attendre, je lui présenterai mon récit olfactif une fois terminé, je pense. Mais comme ce n'est jamais réellement terminé... Je me ferai violence.
Je vais tenter de vous signaler 5 récits. Voici donc le tout premier qui représente le commencement de mes travaux.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Zara White, Green, Fruity, Oriental, Black Amber

Arancia La Spugnatura (Francois Demachy per Acqua di Parma, 2023)

Perris Montecarlo new release: Vetiver Java by Gian Luca Perris (2021)